Friday, April 2, 2010

A Hint of Spring...

Wednesday was...what we here in Cordova call...a "four season day".  That means that we experienced weather that reflects all four seasons in one day!  It snowed...it rained...there were high winds...and the sun came out...the clouds returned...the snow returned...then the rain...high winds...ended with sun and mostly clear skies.  Yes...we had all four seasons twice in one day!  I'm not really complaining...just sharing the facts...that is what it is like when you live this far north in a coastal and mountainous region.  The coastal weather slams into the mountains and anything can happen!  The good news is that even though we experience a years worth of weather in one day...it doesn't age us an entire year...in fact...people who live here don't age prematurely...we don't get enough sun for that! ;-)

But after experiencing two years worth of weather in one day, I decided to look for signs of spring in my own back yard...

A few pussy willows came out this week...I notice that more of them are arriving each day.  I can't help it...the child in me loves pussy willows...remember coloring them with chalk in grade school and making bouquets?  I think I might make one for our Easter dinner table....hmmm...

This is another local sign of spring...they're called the Alaska Blueberry (Vaccinium alaskensis) a relation to the huckleberry...the bushes can grow to be 6 feet tall so sometimes they're referred to as high bush blueberries.  You can cut trimmings from a bush year round, place them in water and they will bloom.  So in theory, we could enjoy a taste of spring all winter long.  These are growing in my backyard...I don't cut these as I want as many berries as possible this summer!  We enjoy eating berries year round!

It was fun dillydallying around the yard looking for spring...still early for this corner of the world!  Have been dillydallying in what Mr. DillyDally calls my "happy place"(my sewing room).  "Her Majesty" (sewing machine) and I have been very productive creating gifts.  Because they're gifts, I can't share photos at this time...so you'll have to trust that I'm being productive!  I'll have proof after they've been given.

I've acquired two new quilting books within the past couple of weeks that I'd like to share...

I received Bonnie Hunter's, Leaders & Enders book first...OMGosh...I read it cover to cover that very night!  She is just so inspiring!  I love her casual style...she is so sincere and generous with her talent. Her creativity is amazing and just leaves you wanting to make every pattern.   Her book was like you were sitting across the table from her enjoying tea and talking quilts.  Our local guild has her coming in September 2011, I can not wait to have her in our midst...quilting...sharing...and enjoying that cup of tea.  

The next book is Stellar Quilts, by Judy Martin.  I have been a big fan of Judy Martin my entire quilting career, about 25 years.  She is a master of making quilts that look too complicated...not only manageable...but she breaks them down in such a way that they just seem to fall into place.  I've learned to really trust her directions, and they have never steered me wrong.  I cannot begin to count the many techniques I've learned through her books...her directions are always easy to understand.  Many quilters might look at her designs and assume they "can't"...Judy's true talent is in her ability to show us that we "can"!  What a gift!

Many of the blogs I enjoy are referring to their spring...and the DillyDally children are enjoying spring in Minnesota.  Spring in the Lower 48 is 6-8 weeks ahead of ours...so I was feeling somewhat left out...I found myself seeking spring...in looking closely I was able to find a few small hints.  ;-)  It is coming...just not as quickly in my small corner of the planet.  I'm always impatient when it comes to the arrival of spring...so...I best get busy dillydallying...time passes more quickly when I dillydally...spring will appear to get here faster!  Works for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment