Thursday, June 11, 2020

Scrap Happy Fun!

Those who know me well as a quilter ... know that I am an unapologetic lover of scrap quilts!  And the scrappier they are ... the better!  I have had my eye on a scrap pattern called Plaidish for quite some time.  But just couldn't motivate myself to pull out my stash and start cutting it out!
When there is a need ... motivation is provided for you ... I started digging through my stash! Here in DillyDallydom we began our quarantine staycation March 15th, within days a friend contacted me about making masks for her family.
Like many who sew ... the mask making marathon began!  
Sister & SIL DillyDally
Humor is a coping mechanism in the DillyDally family ... so I made Star Wars themed masks for all three households in our family.  We are huge fans ... our first date was The Empire Strikes Back!
Love that this family sent me a pic of them wearing the masks I made for them!  The young women were former students and participated in my Hogwarts Knit & Lit group!  I had to dig deep to find this Harry Potter fabric as it was from a quilt I made my son 20+ years ago!  My intent was to make masks that helped people maintain their health ... and perhaps spread a smile or two as well.
Since the stash was being unpacked in order to make masks ... it only made sense to cut out the pieces for a scrap quilt as well!  Plaidish is a free pattern that can be downloaded here!  It uses only squares and rectangles ... easy to cut out!  Fabric needs to be identified by value ... light, medium and dark!
I have been hoarding collecting fabric for 40 years ... I didn't anticipate the emotions ... my stash is filled with memories!  I remember when my daughter chose this bright kitty fabric!
Mask making continued ... as did my piles of scrap pieces!
Feeling groovy!  Leftovers from the border of the second quilt Sister made!  Yep ... this was made into a mask! 
This is the only remaining scrap I have left from the fabric line, Dilly Dally!  I made three quilts from this line ... oh how I wish I had bought more!  
When I came across this small scrap ... I choked with emotion ... proof that my children had been creative with my stash ... too many years ago to count!
I didn't count how many masks I made ... I just kept busy filling requests.  By the time mask making had tapered off ... 
... I had quite a collection of pieces ready for a Plaidish quilt ... or two!
It was so fun and therapeutic, to sew just for fun!  The pattern requires three blocks ... I began with the medium in value blocks!  Fabric combinations were made without any rhyme or reason!
Next came the light blocks!  The piecing is so easy and quick!
Final blocks pieced were the dark ones.  I cannot stress enough how easy this was to piece!
Blocks became rows ... rows became a top!  Because every fabric was only used once ... I didn't have any concern about layout!   
Furbaby approval is always a part of every project here in DillyDallydom!
I cannot begin to express how happy I am with the results of this pattern!  
I love how scrap quilts are like an "I Spy" game.
So many treasures to be found in the fabric!  And ... of course Harry Potter is in attendance too!
I am grateful ... for my stash ... that I was able to assist in a crisis by making masks ... and for the fun found in making a scrap quilt! 

Do what you love!  Stay healthy!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally

3 comments:

  1. Yay for scrap quilts. I love the pattern!! A walk down memory lane 💕 great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt & masks are awesome.
    Great memories of your family.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt. And it certainly does look like a plaid quilt ❣️❣️

    ReplyDelete