Sunday, December 23, 2012

Celebrating Winter Solstice

While many are celebrating the incorrect (said with a thankful heart) Mayan calendar ;-) ... here in my remote corner of the planet, Mr. DillyDally and I are celebrating the winter solstice!
Sunrise - Between 9-10 am
Sunset - Between 4-5 pm
Even though our days are short ... yep, it is dark when we go to work and dark when we get home ... the colors during this time of the year are beautiful!  It is difficult for me to capture them, as I am at work and unable to take photos during the day.  I hope the weather will cooperate over the holiday break!  I really do love this time of the year! ;-)

We celebrated the winter solstice at our local yarn shop, The Net Loft last week!  You can read about it here!
Local fiber artist, Shelley Kocan of Snow Capped Yarns, based her recent hand dyed yarn on this painting by another local artist, David Rosenthal.  Snow and ice are often described as "white" ... David is gifted at capturing the subtle hints of color that grace our landscape during the short winter days.
His painting inspired Shelley's recent colorway, "A Winter's Light".  Here she is sharing it with customers.  Please visit her blog, she explains her inspiration far better than I can!
She produces a wide variety of yarn ... there is something available for every project imaginable!  Terrific selection!
Alpenglow
Glide
Winter's Light
I came home with a beautiful skein of Winter's Light in a DK weight of 55% silk and 45% cashmere ... yep, it feels as beautiful as it looks!
12.21.12 - 3:00 pm
We had early release on Friday, so I was able to take photos of our sunset on the shortest day of the year.  Clouds moved in ... so the colors weren't as spectacular as on a clear day ...
12.21.12 - 5:00 pm
... but it gives you an impression of how quickly the darkness arrives each evening!


Celebrating the winter solstice as part of the holiday season heightens their importance for me.  Christmas ... "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness."  New Years ... as the days lengthen, my hopes for 2013 increase.  The short days in my remote corner of the planet are a gift ... worthy of celebration!

Do what you love.  Do celebrate.  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally 

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Eve! Your post helped me to pause and contemplate the real reason for this season before this busy day begins. I so enjoy your pictures and love the snow capped yarn. My favorite is the Winter's Light - just want to touch it.

    ReplyDelete