Sunday, May 4, 2014

Kick the Guilt Habit!

Today … I find myself revisiting one of the primary principles that support the platform of the dillydally lifestyle.
You know you're a dillydallier … 
When you no longer associate guilt with dillydallying! 
I know … I understand … easier said than done … just hear me out on this.

Yesterday, a memorial service was held for QBee Julie and her son Adam.  It was a very touching and heartwarming occasion … an opportunity to share our love and support for her husband and surviving sons while we celebrated the lives Julie and Adam enjoyed.
As quilters, we create treasures meant to last for generations.  We find comfort and pleasure in knowing that our quilts will allow us to be remembered by family members long after we leave this life.
That was not the case for Julie … everything was lost in the mudslide … her quilts and her stash.  Our hearts ache for her family … in multiple ways … on so many levels.  Like quilters everywhere, the QBees sought comfort in their patchwork and made a commemorative quilt for her husband, it can be viewed on the guild's blog.
I sought solace in piecing at home as well.  Julie was very involved in hosting our guild's Bonnie Hunter event in 2011!  We sat together … giggled our way through a fabulous quilt weekend … and both worked on red versions of Bonnie's Blue Ridge Beauty quilt!  Julie finished her quilt a long while back … she understood the dillydally lifestyle and never said a word about mine being "unfinished"! ;-)  As you can see from the note I had left in the box … I need to piece another 84 blocks!  Here's a dillydally tip for you … always leave a note with your projects!  Hee-hee!
 I reread the pattern and got myself organized …
… as I pieced together blocks, memories surfaced … wonderful memories.
Mr. DD and I have been married nearly 33 years.  I bought this strawberry print as a newlywed and made a tablecloth.  We didn't have a table … it was used to protect the carpet while we ate on the floor picnic style!
 The red check in the upper right corner … I used that fabric to make kitchen accessories when we bought our first home!
 The red rose print is from the first fabric series by Jinny Beyer.  Oh, how I still love those fabrics!  I referred to myself as a quilter back then!  That makes me laugh out loud when I consider my limited skills at the time!  Too fun!  Wonderful memories!  Memories that might have been forgotten if I didn't have this old and extensive stash! ;-)

I used to associate guilt to just about everything!  According to Garrison Keillor, it is because I am Lutheran.  Julie was Catholic and we used to laugh about how guilt was a habit we shared.
When I began developing the principles of the dillydally lifestyle, Julie was a part of those conversations … she was my head cheerleader!  We both agreed that guilt had to be removed from those dillydally activities that bring joy to our lives.  Guilt and self-deprecation is a habit … after 50+ years it took us a while … but we succeeded … we removed guilt from our dillydally activities!  

I strongly feel that we need to do everything we can to protect the joy that dillydallying brings to our lives!  And even after we have won the personal battle with guilt … there are those who will continue to attempt to reintroduce it in our dillydally lifestyle. ;-)  With practice, I have gotten pretty good at deflecting their efforts and no longer care about any criticism they may have.
Please consider this … change the way you look at your dillydallying … celebrate your finishes … every unfinished project is filled with potential … and your stash is filled with memories and possibilities!
Before I realized it this afternoon, I had pieced 60 blocks!  Wowser!  These blocks represent so much … they are a time capsule … reflecting multiple aspects of my life.  What a joyful process!   And … it means I only have 24 blocks to go!  Thanks for listening … I'll step down from the dillydally pulpit … for now! ;-)
Do what you love.  Break the guilt habit!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally





 

2 comments:

  1. Just what I needed to be reminded of on this very day! Thank you Mrs. DD for your words and tribute to Julie and her son. May the DD lifestyle continue! Your quilt will be of great comfort and a lasting memory of Julie.

    ReplyDelete