Thursday, February 13, 2014

Knitting Excitement!

Above the clouds … a gorgeous sunset.  Below the clouds … white out conditions!  Back in November, at the gentle nudging of my good friend and local yarn shop owner, I registered for the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat!  When I made my hotel and flight reservations I thought perhaps I should go a day early, just in case the weather didn't cooperate …well, I didn't and guess what ... yep, Mother Nature had a temper tantrum.  Conditions were so bad that the flight I was scheduled for over headed.  I was heart sick … on a hope and a prayer I was booked for the flight that came through town late in the afternoon!  The second flight was forced to go into a holding pattern over Cordova but eventually was able to land!
I was so relieved to be on my way to Seattle …
… I knit the entire 4+ hour flight … making great progress on my linen table runner!  It was 12:45 am by the time I got to my hotel room in Tacoma.  I jumped into bed … excited to begin the conference in just a few short hours!
I was up early and packed for my first full-day class!  Did I mention that I was excited?
A beautiful morning in Tacoma.  My hotel is just a few blocks from the conference … a brisk walk was the perfect way to begin the day!
Classes with "Knitting Rock Stars" and a Yarn and Fiber Market … heaven!
My class today was Saami Mittens with Beth Brown-Reinsel!

Many of us in Cordova are familiar with her book, Knitting Ganseys.  Plus … most of you, dear readers, probably already know that I am a "mitten maniac"!  So I was thrilled to be able to take a mitten class from Beth!  Just in case you hadn't noticed, I am very excited!
OMGosh Good Golly!  I learned so much today!  I'll share a few … braided cast-on!
Multiple color stranding techniques … honestly, too many to count!  So informative, and yep … I'm exploring each and everyone of them!
Beth solved the mysteries of yarn dominance …
… what a difference it makes in the results in our color strand knitting!
Midday … making good progress!
We learned a couple of traditional Saami finger weaving techniques … such fun!
Several of us shared our progress in a group photo!  Love all the different color combinations … each and everyone beautiful!
I can't say enough good things about Beth, her talent, and teaching style.  She is such a warm and engaging person.  She was very approachable … making everyone feel comfortable.  A wealth of talent and experience that she willingly shares … it is easy to understand why she has Rock Star status!  What a wonderful dillydally day!
Yep … I am packed and ready for tomorrow's class!  I can't wait!  I am so excited!  ;-)
Do what you love.  Do dillydally with Rock Stars!  
Mrs. DillyDally

5 comments: