Thursday, January 16, 2014

Knitting with Harry and Anne!

The Hogwart's Knit n' Lit programs that I'm sponsoring at school have been so enjoyable.  When I last posted about the program, I shared pictures of the senior high school knitters.
Today I'll feature the progress of the 7th and 8th graders.  They have been busy learning to knit and have gotten a strong start on their "First Year Scarf"!


Once they learned the knit stitch … it was such fun to watch their young hands find their own "knitter's rhythm".  Every knitter creates and finds their own "beat" … one that will travel with them through out their knitting journey.


When getting to the point of changing colors for the next stripe, there is a lot of excitement!


Each stripe is cause for celebration … and their sense of accomplishment is written all over their faces!
 It occurred to me the other day that the book we're listening to, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, was written before the girls were born … they are between the ages of 12-14 … the book was published in 1997, seventeen years ago.  Some of the girls have read the book … most have not … and I read it back when it was first published!  So …  we are all having fun … often giggling out loud as we knit and listen to Harry discover that he is a wizard!
Here in DillyDallydom, I have been making progress on my own literature based knitting project!
This week I finished knitting the front …
… and back of "Matthew's Vest"!  All that is left are shoulder seams, the armhole/neck edging, and blocking it!  My hope is to finish it over the weekend … we'll see how things unfold and which way the dillydally winds blow!  ;-)
Gosh … I love tweed … especially on the men in my life.  I look forward to seeing this vest on Brother DillyDally … as his mother I am especially biased … but he will look so handsome in this vest!

Do what you love.  Knit & Read!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally



2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed by anyonw who can knit! I am all thumbs when it comes to handling needles, I am afraid. You've got some talented students. I love, love, love, the Anne of GG books; and Harry Potter too! Love that tweed yarn, the vest will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell your students that I am so impressed with their new found knitting skills and love seeing their workmanship. You are right, Harry Potter books, sadly, are getting a bit outdated for our new young teens. We are lucky to have teachers like you to keep the magic alive!

    ReplyDelete