Thursday, February 9, 2012

Iceworm Handcrafts!

One of the events I enjoy most during our Iceworm Festival is the Handcraft Show.  Every year it is a bit different ... I love its unpredictability!
One of local treasures, an elder, does the most amazing hand embroidery.  This is a table cloth with all four corners done in perfectly stitched satin stitch.   I also love how she finished the table cloth with beautiful lace and ribbon...what an outstanding piece of workmanship!
Remember 10 years ago, when hand embroidery was a dying art?  Well ... she never paid attention to what was "in" or not ... she continued stitching, doing what she loved.  I wish my little point and click camera could capture the beauty of her work.
Every time I see her workmanship, I am inspired to put a little more care and effort into my own embroidery.  Every thing she does is heirloom quality ... what talent ... what a treasure!
Between the light, the camera and my skills, this photo does not in any way capture the beauty of the objects on this table.  These are glass balls that occasionally wash up on the shores in our area that a local artist has covered in bead work.  They are stunning!  I wish my photos were better, so that you could see the value of her talent.
Again...the light coming in the windows really effected the photos.  I hate to complain about the sun, especially in this remote corner of the planet ... but it really got in the way of this show.  Here are some paintings, woven items and handmade jewelry on display.
Of course...there were beautiful quilts on display!  Again the lighting was horrible, so I am unable to include all the quilts ... the picture quality is just too poor.  Please use your imagination when viewing these photos ... the quilts are so much more beautiful than the picture!
I've included this quilt in earlier posts, but it is so nice to capture it hanging like this.  It is stunning!  QBee Valerie's piecing and hand applique skills are amazing and then it was embellished by The Green Fairy's machine quilting ... over the top amazing!
Another beautiful quilt ... when I look at this one, it brings a smile to my face.  Such a happy quilt!
Gosh ... I just love samplers.  They always remind me of the women who came before us and what they contributed to the life that we enjoy ... yep, a sampler turns me to mush every time I see one.
Remember last September when Bonnie Hunter came ... this is a version of her Blue Ridge Beauty quilt.  I love it!  The multi colored blocks just dance!  Such a happy quilt!

I love seeing work done by the hands of others ... especially my friends and neighbors!  It is a blessing to live in a community with so much talent!
Do what you love.  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally

2 comments:

  1. These are all amazing. Thank you for sharing them. The embroidery at the top is gorgeous. Such talented women in Cordova!!
    Carrie Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing these. Thank you for posting the photos. Virginia is amazing. Beautiful embroidery!

    Love the quilts too!

    ReplyDelete