Monday, June 21, 2010

Brainerd Quilt Show - June 11th

I'm so behind on my blogging ... here it is the 21st and I'm blogging about what I did ten days earlier.  Forgive me ... Sister DillyDally is the priority when I visit Minnesota ... and our time together is precious ... and that's the simple truth!  Now back to June 11th ...

While returning to the Twin Cities after being in Bemidji, I decided to break up the five hour drive by stopping in Brainerd to see their annual Quilt Show!  It is always a treat to see what other quilters are making!  There is no way I could have taken pictures of every quilt in the show ... so I'll share the ones that stood out to me for one reason or another ...

It was interesting to see how they hung their quilts ... a bit more investment ... storage issues ... than our guild is probably prepared for ... but food for thought ...
Photos never quite capture the true beauty ... this is a stunning example of piecing and three dimensional hand applique ... QBees Julie and Valerie would have loved this one...
QBee Lila has about 42 yards of fabric from this line ... and no ... I am not exaggerating!  I loved how the quilter used the fabric to create this quilt ... food for thought Lila!
This quilt uses the printed panels that were in the MN Shop Hop 2007 collection ... love it!
Another version of Crabapple Hill's Thanksgiving quilt ... yes, of course I have the pattern ... it is time I'm lacking!  Someday I'll dillydally my way through this one ... ;-) !
Yes ... this is a single block pattern from another Crabapple Hill pattern ... and yes, I have only two blocks left to embroider for this quilt ... I know what you're thinking ... 
This snowman quilt is from a pattern designed by Emily of Emily's Country Cottage in Bemidji!  Yes ... I confess that I have this pattern too ... gosh ... I'm an advanced dillydallier ... I refuse to feel guilty!  So there!!!!
Stunning ... reminds me of the embroidery my grandmother did ... love it ... treasured her!
OMGosh ... I love hand applique ... but we have a love/hate relationship ...
... I know ... it is tragic ... because I so admire those who have a loving relationship with hand applique' ...
This hand appliqued quilt was made using a free pattern offered last year by Bunny Hill Designs called "A Tisket, A Tasket".  It was beautiful!
Another version of the apron pattern I'm bringing home with me ... versions of this pattern have been at quite a few shops ... those Minnesota quilters must have a love for aprons too!

I always seem to migrate toward scrappy patchwork quilts ...
... it is true ... I never tire of them ...


Here is a scrap patchwork with an appliqued border ... 
... appliqued blocks with pieced blocks ... so creative!
Our guild in Cordova sponsored a trading patches group that resulted in these blocks ... I really like the setting of this quilt and may use it for my quilt ... love it!
Fusible applique ... loved the pattern ... haven't seen it before.  If anyone knows who the designer is, please share it with me!
This was stunning ... the embellishments don't show up well in the photo ... tried several close ups ...
...this was the only one that gives you a hint of how much work the quilter put into it!
Another version of our dear friend ... Lucky Stars ... by Terry Atkinson ... love it in brown and blues!
I love patriotic quilts ... any time of the year ... there were several at the show, but this one was the real stand out ... just gorgeous!
Simply stunning ... Bonnie Hunter would have loved it ... it looked exactly like something she would make, even though it is a two color quilt!
As I have already shared ... this "Snake River" quilt by Judy Martin, is the one I'm making for Brother DillyDally's college graduation.  I hope to begin it this summer ... I'm using my batik leftovers ... and while here in Minnesota have collected additional fat quarters.  I plan to use black batiks where there are red ones in this version ... and our guilds Accuquilt will really help me get it cut out quickly ... seeing another one done is soooo inspiring!

I can't begin to describe how inspiring it was to see this quilt show ... there is no greater inspiration than seeing the work of others ... I always find the success of others so motivating, don't you?  

I leave Minnesota today ... returning to Alaska tomorrow.  It is always hard to leave Sister DillyDally here ... but I miss those DillyDally men, Teacup and Kysa ... gosh, I wish it were possible to be two places at once.  As usual, I will turn to my knitting needles and "Her Majesty" for solace during the difficult days of adjustment ... they are always there for me ... allowing me to dillydally my way through the often tough realities that are a part of life.  When life gets difficult ... my recommendation is ... find some chocolate and go dillydally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment