Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Little Bits of Dillydallying...


Four years ago I made a scrap quilt for my in-laws to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary.  I was left with hundreds of 2.5X4.5 inch rectangles.  I just couldn't throw them out...but had no idea what to do with them.  Without really thinking about it, I started sewing them together.  Then I was left with over a hundred 4.5 inch squares.  Somewhere in my memory bank I remembered seeing quilts where they were put on point and rotated...so that is what I did.  I found some yardage in my stash that blended in and used it for the setting triangles...and I honestly loved the results.  My next problem was what to do about a border...I was determined to keep it an authentic scrap quilt and auditioned several pieces of yardage (of multiple colors) from my stash, but nothing seemed to work.  So I folded it up...placed it in my unfinished basket...and forgot about it...until two weeks ago when I became infected with the urge to pull UFO's out and finish a few!
 

Teacup loves scrap quilting...because it is messy!  She loved rolling around in the scrappy strips!  Naughty Kitty!
We are huge Terry Atkinson fans here in Cordova and know her books and patterns inside and out!  QBee Valerie had the idea of using Terry's border from the Lasagna quilt that is published in her Spring Cleaning book.  It was a match made in heaven!  I was able to continue that scrappy feel and work in multiple colors!  I love the end result and will use it again to border other scrap quilts! 


I started a new knitting project this week!  Ya-Hoo!  I love starting new projects!  This is a cardigan pattern that Sister DillyDally picked out last summer while I was visiting her in Minnesota.  It is  designed by Bonne Marie Burns of Chic Knits.  It is called the "Mondo Cable Cardi".  When Sister was home in September, we found yarn she fell in love with at our local yarn shop, The Net Loft!  The yarn is absolutely heaven to work with...it is 50% alpaca and 50% merino...by Three Irish Girls...completely yummy!  But it gets better!  What really makes it special is that it is hand painted to represent one of our local glaciers!   Yes...our shop owner made arrangements with them...she sent them pictures and they hand painted multiple colorways that represent our lives on the Copper River Delta!  This colorway is called "Sheridan Glacier".
 
 Picture of Sheridan Glacier

It doesn't get any better than this...our little Alaska girl...who grew up in the middle of nowhere...living the urban life in downtown Minneapolis...will be wrapped in the warmth of a hand knit sweater...the color of the glaciers found in the backyard of her childhood home.  Life is good...go dillydally!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That cardigan is going to be beautiful! I love love love that yarn:)

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete