Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Spring Break!

This was the view from our front deck this morning around 7:00 am.  As you can see...the only sign of spring in our little corner of the world this time of the year...is the light.  Every day is getting longer...quickly...at 6:00 am it is relatively light and tonight at 8:30 pm it will still be somewhat light.  We welcome it...our energy increases...we're able to spend more time outdoors...but we know that it won't be until the third week of May that our trees will leaf and that we have to wait until the first of June to safely place our plants outside.

We begin spring break tomorrow...as always I have a long list of things I want to accomplish...I always over plan...but my expectations are realistic...I begin knowing it is humanly impossible to do it all...I just like lists and crossing items off...it feels good!  Some of the items on my list are work related, some involve housekeeping, but most of them are dillydallying! Ya-Hoo! 

Now...when it comes to my dillydallying...I have some good news and...some...not necessarily bad news, but definitely some struggles...first...the good news...

Remember this...
...I finished quilting and bound it to become this...

...and the leftovers...

...became this candle mat.

Now for the struggle...life is full of them...but sometimes I am my own worst enemy...I just make things more difficult than they need to be.  Our final block for the Cobblestone Lane BOM quilt we're making is an applique block.  Let me begin by saying that the designer, Sherri Falls is in no way responsible for the mess I've gotten myself in...had I followed her expert and well written instructions...I would not be knee deep in...well...you know what I'm suggesting...MUD!  For "who knows why" I decided that I would hand applique my blocks, which would make sense if I was adept at hand applique...but I'M NOT!!!  Now I have two QBees that are hand applique professionals...if you've followed this blog...you've seen their work...the one who appliqued the dozen roses (11 pieces in each rose) in the vase with stems and leaves...and the second one who is currently working on a rooster with 130 pieces!  I know...they are amazing...and because I rub elbows with them...I guess I "thought" I could do two 12 inch blocks...obviously I wasn't thinking!  So for the past week, this is what I have to show for myself...

I know...it not only looks like a mess...it is a mess!  I am in way over my head and I haven't even started on the 1/4 inch stems!  Do you think anyone will notice if I use magic markers for the stems?  Needless to say...I will be working hard to find my way out of this corner...the Queen of Applique QBees have offered assistance, but we Scandinavians are a stubborn lot...I got myself in this mess...I'll work my way out.  I hope. Stay tuned...
 

1 comment:

  1. Please share the cookie recipe. Mr. Coach LOVES chocolate chip cookies and I haven't made any in ages.

    I admire your perserverance with the applique. I am tackling set-in blocks and not enjoying it at all. Dilly-Dallying is supposed to be FUN!! And Relaxing. Set-ins are none of the above.

    ReplyDelete