Sunday, April 7, 2019

Hello April!

Spring arrives slowly here in our remote corner of the planet.  The most obvious sign of spring in Alaska is the hours of daylight that increase daily!
Currently the sun rises before 7 am and sets around 9 pm ... it feels wonderful!  And the first week of April gifted us with several days of clear skies!
On April 1st the sun actually felt warm!  Nissa enjoyed the warmth as much as Mr. DD and I did!  Her joy and enthusiasm reflected our feelings perfectly!
When the sun is out ... so are the DillyDallys!  Mr. and I appreciate every walk we take that doesn't result in us getting wet!  However, Nissa likes being wet ... even when the sun is shining!
Dillydallying does take place daily even when the sun is shining ... both knitting and quilting ... lots of 007 projects in progress! Things I cannot share at this time!  Even with all that going on ... I found myself agreeing to participate in a quilt "Round Robin".  The idea of doing a "for fun" project was sew appealing ... I just had to sign on!  Thursday night I poured through my quilt books ... seeking a block pattern ... trying to decide what direction I would take this group project!  Then the task of choosing fabrics ... a dillydally wind storm was brewing ... oh, sew many possibilities!
 At 5 am Saturday morning, I woke to the sound of rain on the roof.  I thought about rolling over and going back to sleep ... but that dillydally windstorm in my brain wouldn't allow it!  With a cup of freshly brewed coffee in hand, Flicka and I entered DillyDallydom with a purpose!  We are experts at creating our own sunshine!  My purpose was to begin the 6 inch patchwork block I had selected ... apparently Flicka's purpose was to nap!
Silly kitty ... at least I knew she approved of my fabric choices!  I did not have the heart to disturb her, so did a bit of cleaning up around the sewing room.
Fortunately, cat naps never last long ... and six inch blocks are fast to cut out ... before long we were ready to sew!  I decided on a Sewing/Quilting theme, and Lori Holt's Spelling Bee book has the sweetest sewing machine block!
Before long the block was done ... but the machine sort of got lost ... sew, I added a small background border.  It helped ... but just didn't have enough color to truly reflect my dillydally spirit!
There!  That is much better!  My six inch block became twelve inches!  I plan to add a bit of embroidery before I pass it on!  Cannot wait to see what other quilters will do with it ... sew much fun!  And what a sunny way to spend a rainy morning!
Over the years, I have adjusted to the slow way in which Alaska experiences spring.  I find it  important to embrace the pattern of nature, whatever that may be.
Happy April to all ... in every corner of the planet!
Do what you love!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally


2 comments:

  1. What a cute block!
    Glad Flicka supervised again. :)
    Looks like a beautiful Spring coming your way.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marilyn! I hope spring is arriving in your corner of the planet as well!

    ReplyDelete