Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Dressmaking I Class

What better way to celebrate spring's arrival then by adding a new garment to our wardrobe!
Welcome spring and refresh your wardrobe by taking a Dressmaking I Class!
Let's make a garment for ourselves!  After months of pattern research, I finally chose one that allows me to teach basic clothing construction skills ... is available for all body sizes and shapes ... and includes many design options!
 I began sewing at the age of nine and by Junior High was making most of my wardrobe.  My mother taught me to sew initially, I took every Home Ec class available in High School.  Textiles were my first love ... a passion that has remained with me my entire life!
When choosing a college ... my first concern was whether or not I could study textiles!  I took every textile class available!  My passion grew ... clothing construction was always my first love!
 I am thrilled by the interest in and current popularity of clothing construction!  Sew ... my excitement in offering a class for adults makes this dillydally heart sew very happy!  We are going to have such fun!


Here are the details:

When
  • We will be meeting three times, April 4, 11, and 18th
  • Set up will begin at 6 pm with instruction from 6:30 - 9:30 pm.
Where
  • High School Home Economics Room
Participants will Learn the Following Skills
  • Body measurements & Size
  • Fabric preparation & Grainline
  • Pattern Layout & Cutting
  • Marking
  • Staystitching & Darts
  • Clipping corners & Curves
  • Seams & Finishes
  • Grading Seams
  • Bias Facings
  • Side Seam Pocket Construction
  • Gathering Techniques
  • Hand Sewn Hems

Dress Pattern
  • We will be making the Hinterland Dress by Sew Liberated.  
  • In Dressmaking I, we will be using this pattern to make a pullover, sleeveless version. 
  • The pattern is available for purchase at The Net Loft.
  • Sizes range from 0 to 24.  It is a style that is comfortable and flattering for all body shapes.
  • It is very versatile.  Participants will choose between a tunic, short, or midi length dress.
  • If you would like to view this pattern made by people from all over the world, use #hinterlanddress on Instagram.
Equipment Required to Participate
  • A sewing machine in good working order
  • Sewing Machine Needles, size 12  
  • Fabric scissors
  • Tape measure
  • Straight Pins
  • Seam Ripper
  • Sharpes (hand sewing needles)
Supplies required to Participate
  • After you register, I will be emailing you a supply list that includes the fabric and notions necessary to take the class.
  • Fabric, notions, and equipment is available at both The Net Loft and Forget Me Not Fabrics.

Registration and Cost
  • Space is limited.  Be sure to register online by clicking here.
  • Once you register, I will email you a supply list.
  • The class fee is $75 (due at the first session) and includes over 9 hours of instruction.
Questions and Concerns
  • Feel free to email me at tsdillydally81@gmail.com
  • Use Dressmaking I in the subject line.
  • I check my email every morning and evening, and will reply as soon as I read your email.





1 comment:

  1. That looks like a cute, simple dress.
    I also used to sew most of my clothes in high school.
    We had to make a fully-lined suit.
    I was shocked when I received an "A" on it!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete