Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Holiday Food Traditions

Most families celebrate with food ...  here in DillyDallydom, a few food items play a starring role in our Christmas traditions.  In other words ... it would not be Christmas without them.

We begin with the food of Viking gods ... Lefse.  Both Mr. DD and I grew up with this on the holiday table ... in fact, some say Mr. DD proposed because of my lefse making abilities ... but that is another story for another day.  ;-)
Brother DD rices the potatoes - 2014
My grandmother's recipe for Lefse has traveled farther than she could have ever imagined ... and I can feel her pleasure in watching her great-grandson carry on the tradition.
The most important skill needed to make lefse, is rolling the dough paper thin.  Girlfriend DD is a quick study.  No one would ever guess that she didn't grow up eating lefse, as she mastered the skills quickly ... and enjoys consuming it with us!
The paper taped to the cabinet is a copy of my grandmother's recipe ... we mixed multiple batches and used 10 pounds of potatoes.  About two-thirds of the way through, we girls had to attend another event ... the DillyDally men took over and finished up!  I was so impressed and have been bragging about them ever since! ;-)
 The gingerbread houses are a tradition we started in our family when Sister and Brother were young, in the early 1990's.  Now I cannot imagine the holidays without them.
Sister DD is the one who introduced St. Lucia buns to our family.  She began attending Swedish Language Camp when nine years old and was introduced to the St. Lucia traditions there.  We've celebrated with those traditions ever since!
 Flicka is NOT allowed to participate in any cooking or baking activities ... and deliberately is naughty while I'm busy in the kitchen.  Love my furry little wingnut!
One of my fondest childhood memories was making and decorating Christmas cookies with my grandparents.  To continue that with my own children, I would host a Cookie Party for them and their friends each year.
When I think about the thousands millions of sugar cookies I've baked ... uff da!  ;-)
 But ... all decorating is done by the kids ... even grown-up kids!
Sister DD's First Cookie Baking - 14 months - Christmas 1984
As many know ... it is so hard to be separated by distance from your children during the holidays.  Because of her work, Sister DD is especially busy during Christmas.  We miss her so much.

But ... technology helps.  Here Flicka and I are busy sending her a holiday recipe that she had requested.
Sister DD's holiday baking - 2014
Sister DD continues our family traditions in her independent life ... and shares it with her friends.   She recently launched her own lifestyle blog, check it out here.  One more way technology allows us to remain close to one another ... love that!
Celebrate good food ... celebrate traditions ... celebrate family.  One of the best ways to dillydally!

Do what you love.  Celebrate!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally


No comments:

Post a Comment