Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Nordic Mitten Class - Fiber & Friends Day 3, Tuesday

Nearly two weeks ago, I shared that I was busy knitting mittens ... and that it was a bit crazy to be making mittens in June!  At the time, I promised that there was a method to my madness ...
... yep, I knit three mittens ...
... no, I do not have an extra appendage! Hee-hee!  About a year ago, Dotty asked me to teach my nordic mitten design class at her Fiber & Friends event!  Yikes!  To say I was overwhelmed (and intimidated) to be teaching at such a large fiber festival with the knitting world's Rock Stars is an understatement!
I enjoyed preparing for the class ... years of teaching public school came in handy when developing a lesson plan! ;-)  I have been teaching my nordic mitten class locally for years ... it usually takes 3-4 sessions that are usually 3 hours long.  The challenge was adapting it into a one day class!
I prepared the instructions ... the handouts ... the samples!  My biggest problem ... my nerves!

I chose to limit my class size to eight participants and was thrilled when it filled!  They were sent a "homework" assignment to complete before the class met.  I had assigned them a gauge swatch, so that we could immediately begin designing their mittens!
Everyone made their gauge swatch ...
... with the same number of stitches ...
... the same size needles ...
 ... same weight of yarn ...
 ... and the same number of rows.
 And like us ...
 ... no two are alike!
It was so enlightening to see all eight gauge swatches together ... their value becomes immediately clear.
 Everyone created their individualized charts.
 Knitting IS math ... we all accomplished the math successfully!
 And by midday everyone was knitting!
 Through out the afternoon ...
 ... we learned how to plan for the thumb ...
 ... and other finishing skills.
The women in this group were exceptional in many ways!  Five were Alaskans ... two were from Cordova, one from Anchorage and two from Palmer!  One each from Montana, Colorado and California!  Such fun!
By the end of the day, they were KBees (knitting buddies)!  Here they are holding their mittens over their hearts, promising to send me photos when they're finished!  Too fun!
I love this photo!  I am so grateful to these women ... they helped to soothe my jitters ... were so inspiring ... and made the day a wonderful experience.  I hope that I reciprocated by assisting them on their knitting journey.  Friends and fiber forever!

Do what you love.  Knit on!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally

No comments:

Post a Comment