Friday, June 26, 2020

Silver and Gold!

Dillydallying on a whim!  When you allow yourself to respond impulsively to a creative opportunity!  Sew much fun happens!
I love being open to things that happen to come my way!  I was scrolling through my Instagram feed and a lap sized quilt caught my eye!  I don't remember who posted a version of this quilt ... but I followed the #festivefirquilt and fell in love with this design and it's possibilities!  Within 10 minutes I had gone to Jamie's site, Sew Brainy Designs,  purchased, and down loaded the pattern!  Access to PDF patterns makes it possible to get started immediately!  With my newly printed pattern in hand, I went to my Holiday fabric stash!  The pattern includes instructions for 3 sizes and I wanted to make the 18 inch pillow/wall quilt size.

While thumbing through my fabrics ... this tune entered my mind ... Silver and Gold!  


I only had a small collection of silver and gold fabrics, but it was enough!  Pulled three options for the background and settled on the navy with gold metallic dots.

I cut each step as I went, so it wasn't long before Her Majesty and I were chain piecing the silver and gold ornaments that were to create our tree!
The instructions were very well written and easy to follow!
Before long ... all twenty ornament units were pieced!  Super simple and fast!
Next came piecing the star ... those were tiny flying geese units!  Grateful I only needed to make four!
A star that shines!  
As always ... the most difficult task was deciding the layout!  
Once the layout was determined, I just cut rectangles for each row and pieced them together.  
It went together sew quickly!
Next ... I layered and pin basted it!  I have zero talent when it comes to machine quilting ... so I keep it very simple!

Always fun to play a bit of "bobbin chicken" ... life is never dull with Her Majesty!

I chose to sew horizontal lines every half inch ... Her Majesty's built in walking foot is the reason I bought my Janome 6600!  I love that feature!

Binding on!  Project on a whim finished! 
 
And yes ... of course I watched the movie while making this little wall quilt!  Here in DillyDallydom ... Holiday music and movies are enjoyed year round!

Suddenly my dillydally whim turned into a windstorm!  Because sometimes quilts are just like potato chips ... it is impossible to eat/make only one ... I returned to my stash and pulled fabric for the lap sized version of the Festive Fir Quilt!  I plan to cut it out and wait to piece it during our guild's Christmas in July event!

Do what you love!  Follow a whim!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally


2 comments:

  1. It's very pretty.
    Love those Christmas fabrics.
    I like watching those older movies, such classics.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you chronicle projects with accompanying photos, so we can share in the creative process - thank you!

    ReplyDelete