Monday, April 30, 2018

Happy Birthday Mom!

Many around the world celebrate today, May 1st!  Today was also my mother's birthday!
Mom - 1955
Every year we would make cards and baskets to deliver to neighbors ... she made the day special ... not by celebrating herself, but by doing for others.
By 1965, she was 28 years old and the mother of four.  A farm wife's life is extremely busy.  Here we are celebrating Dad's new logging truck.
Every other year, Mom would pack up her four kids, and drive us out west to Oregon to visit her side of the family.  This photo is the 50th Anniversary of her parents during the summer of 1971.  As children we so looked forward to those trips ... as an adult, I now understand and appreciate the effort and stress my mother went through to get us there.
This photo was taken Easter 1973.  I love her body language in this photo ... tightly hanging on to my brother ... and keeping a close eye on something else going on!  Cracks me up!  We have so few photos of Mom ... she was always behind the scenes ... making things happen for us ... and taking the pictures.

Since her death in 2006, I have made it my task to honor her memory on her birthday!  I don't make cards or May Day baskets like we did as children, instead I do little acts of kindness for others.
This year I decided to keep it "in the family" and made candle mats for each DillyDally household!  Roseann's book, "A Little Something" has the sweetest designs.  The floral candle mats are perfect for a May Day gift!
Girlfriend DillyDally's favorite color is purple ... sew her version had to be lavender with a red violet center.
Yellow has been Sister DillyDally's favorite color since she was two years old!  Mom's favorite flower was the yellow rose!
I made mine pink ... my mother had a pink pant suit ...
Mom & me - 1979
... I loved that suit on her.  When she fussed about what to wear to my college graduation, I asked her to wear it!
I actually began these last summer when Roseann's book was first released ... in January I decided to honor Mom's birthday with them ... since then Sister DD has started her own business!  Often times ...  we are unaware that the stars are in alignment ... her candles fit the mats perfectly!
I miss my mother every day ... I long to pick up the phone and hear her voice.
I seek comfort
     - by making things with my hands
     - creating the design of a friend
     - supporting a child's endeavor
     - thinking about the women in my family
     - dillydallying in my Mothers memory

Do what you love.  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally

7 comments:

  1. What great memories of your Mom.
    The candle mats are all so pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful way to honor your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s my middle son’s birthday today too. He’s 29. My time is flying. Yesterday he was 10 it seems. The candle mats are beautiful and a nice way to honor your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my mom every day too. Love these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet. Your mom was so special to you! I love the way you are honoring her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post about your mother. How lucky you are to have those sweet memories and now that you posted them, your children will have them too. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect in every way! XXOO, Kay

    ReplyDelete