Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Blueberry Season Begins!

My love affair with berries and berry picking began as a child.  As a family we picked chokecherries, blueberries and plums that grew wild in our pasture and surrounding area.  Chokecherries were most plentiful ... one wild plum bush provided us with lots of jam ... but wild blueberries were the most elusive, which of course made them highly valued!
My favorite remains the blueberry!
The Alaska Blueberry (Vaccinium alaskensis)!
Bushes average from 2 - 6 feet high ... makes picking easy.
Yep ... they're my favorite!  Obviously!
A quart of berries washed and drying before being packaged for the freezer.  I ran out of blueberries this winter, so I need to be sure to pick enough this summer!
Mother Nature recently gifted us with a very blue evening!  I took this photo from the front deck at 11:00 pm.  Blue is my favorite berry ... and my favorite color!  Harvesting berries is a wonderful way to dillydally!

Do what you love.  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally

2 comments:

  1. I don't wash my blueberries when I freeze them. I wash them when they come out of the freezer. It would be nice to have them all ready to use though. I'm just too lazy after picking them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing how things are done differently other places! We're going to have to swap favorite blueberry recipes!

      Delete