Monday, March 12, 2012

Taming a Dragon!

I have never (until recently) had trouble finding ways to entertain myself.  I have always been able to find creative ways to use my tidbits of free time.  After all ... it is the dillydally way!
This knee injury and surgery has really messed with my dillydally lifestyle!  It has challenged me in multiple ways.  We, women of Viking heritage address challenges aggressively!

Because I have been unable to do the things I want to do ... frustration and boredom have tried to move in!  And "Cranky" the dragon, has attempted to raise her ugly head!  As I've cut back on "mind altering" drugs (pain killers) I find that I have been able to battle with this dragon more effectively.
In the past few years I have been organizing my quilt and knitting magazines by saving what I want and throwing out what I don't.  But I had a pile of older magazines that hadn't been dealt with!  Oh ... how I loved this magazine, Quiltworks, when it was in print!  I still wish it were around.
Most of them date from the mid 80s to the mid 90s...what fun!  A trip down memory lane and a lesson on the timelessness of good design.
I loved the articles by Sharyn Craig.  I would read and re-read her articles ... there was so much information to soak up!
She would take a block, in this case "Half Log Cabin" and explore the many possibilities that block could offer!  It was wonderful!
Yep ... I re-read them again.  If anything her work has increased in value ... it was very inspiring to revisit her and her creativity.  Check out her website, I need to make sure her books become a part of my quilting library!
It was fun to come across articles about Quilt Rock Stars, like Jackie Robinson.  I learned so much when I took her class in 2008 at the Valdez Quilt Festival!  How interesting to read about her 10+ years prior to meeting her!
This is a pic of the QBees and Quilt Rock Stars together on a tour of Prince William Sound.  Jackie is sort of in the shadows, in the center, fifth from the right.  She was such a joy to be around. She took a special interest in our lives while sharing hers.  She has accomplished so much as a quilter, it was an honor to learn under her direction.
 And of course, I found multiple Thimbleberries patterns within the pages of these magazines!
Lynette Jensen's inspiration and designs are timeless.
Her books, patterns and articles have taught me so many of the quilting skills I enjoy today!
It was such a thrill to visit her in her studio store this summer!  She continues to inspire and teach us through her patterns and designs!
My knee pain prevents "Her Majesty" and I from spending the time together that I would like.  I really miss her ... withdrawals are difficult.  I will give it another try tomorrow.

My Viking warrior ways have paid off ... I was able to tame "Cranky" for now!
 Do what you love!  Tame your dragons!  Do dillydally!
Mrs. DillyDally




     

3 comments:

  1. It's healthy too to write your thoughts and feelings down. :o) You live in a GORGEOUS place! Enjoyed reading how you tame cranky the dragon, and her majesty looks like a fabulous machine. Hope your recovery moves speedily along until cranky is crushed! :) Happy Monday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Mrs DD

    It's so hard to have unscheduled time and not be able to do the things you love. But I realy admire your spirit.
    margieinmaryland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cranky is a good sign...it signals progress toward getting better...really! I have seen it many times. Congratulations on reaching this stage. Better times will be coming your way before you know it.

    ReplyDelete